Resident Assistant, Shift Leader
The Salvation Army
Syracuse Area Services
Position Details: Full-Time, Hourly/Non-Exempt, with access to our comprehensive Benefit Program.
Position Overview: The role of a Resident Assistant, Shift Leader is to assist with managing operations on their assigned shift. It is a dual role where you will provide services to client/residents and coordinate, delegate and authorize staff duties to ensure effective operation of program services to residents. Make field decisions - Read, interpret and implement policies - independent of direct supervision. Provide day, evening, or overnight coverage including weekends and holidays at our Emergency Family Shelter. Responsible for the supervision of residents and the general management and upkeep of the program. Insure a safe, secure, comfortable, and supportive environment in a manner consistent with the philosophy, policies, and procedures of the program and agency.
We here at The Salvation Army offer a comprehensive and unique health benefit offering such as:
Shift Leaders must be prepared to complete all functions of a Resident Assistant, in addition to the “Leader” responsibilities.
While a Shift Lead does not possess supervisory power, the Shift Lead is the manager on site, carries authority, and is responsible to provide leadership to the team – through delegation, coordination and cooperation with all team members.
The Shift Lead needs to exhibit excellent critical thinking skills; be able to make quick and logical decisions; demonstrate maturity and professionalism; possess knowledge of agency and program policies – and be able to articulate and implement them.
Resident Assistant Responsibilities:
• Conduct regular (at least once/week) comprehensive facility safety checks, including bedrooms, restrooms, common areas, dining areas. Maintain documentation and report any urgent issues or supply needs to supervisor.
• Oversee storage of Foodbank, Sysco and other program orders.
• Oversee the completion of second shift client chores, complete detailed daily rounds of all common areas including bathrooms, laundry rooms, etc.
• Inventory tracking of facility needs: cleaning materials (chemicals, brooms, mops, etc), safety supplies (wet floor signs, rugs, first aid kits, NARCAN supplies, etc) maintenance supplies (blinds, CO detectors, outlet covers, fire evac maps, etc.) and donations.
• Create monthly meal calendar for shelter residents.
• Primarily responsible for permanent supportive apartments during evening shift.
• Assist with bi-weekly resident House Meetings; in consultation with Supervisor.
• Assist with social group/recreational activities and other special events (in consultation with Supervisor).
• Maintain ability to transport residents if needed; only as approved by a supervisor.
• Oversee completion of evening RA tasks, monitor house laundry, review HMIS intake and discharge data, complete HMIS intake and discharge updates.
• Other duties as assigned