Seeking: compassionate individuals looking to help make a difference!
If you are passionate about making a difference in someone’s life and want to work for an organization that appreciates and recognizes their employee’s success, we encourage you to apply today!
Our Full-time opportunities offer:
Some of these benefits are also available to Part-time employees as well!
SCOPE AND PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Prevention Educator position exists to assist the Anew Center Program Director for the Domestic Violence/Rape Crisis Program in providing school based primary prevention education, community education, professional training, and outreach to promote prevention of sexual assault, rape, and domestic violence throughout Chautauqua County, along with providing direct services to victims upon request. The Prevention Educator will also be responsible for assisting with initial and on-going staff and volunteer trainings related to domestic violence, rape and sexual assault.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Responsible for reading and being familiar with The Salvation Army Employee Handbook, and will read and follow the policy and procedure manual specific to the Anew Center and requesting supervisory direction as needed.
• Development and implementation of rape, sexual assault, and domestic violence education and prevention programs to students in schools and universities throughout Chautauqua County.
• Provide educational programs to the community to increase awareness of the issues of rape, sexual assault, domestic violence, and possible preventive measures.
• Responsible for attending various outreach and speaking engagements as assigned.
• Provide formal training programs, conferences, seminars or workshops to professional groups and others to promote the understanding of domestic violence, rape and sexual assault issues.
• Responsible for informing staff and volunteers about trainings, coordinate training registrations for staff and volunteers, including check requests and payment.
• Track training hours for Department of Health (DOH) files, and monitor to ensure staff are receiving the required 10 hours of training per year.
• Assist with compiling DOH reports.
• Assist with coordination and provision of the initial training for all in-coming Anew Center staff and volunteers and responsible for the coordination of on-going training hours.
Prevention Educator Job Description
Page 2 of 4
• Serve as a representative for Coalition activities including participating in subcommittee meetings for Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Awareness months. Assist in coordination of The Salvation Army activities throughout the year.
• Responsible for keeping accurate and updated records, submitting reports and statistics as required by The Salvation Army, Department of Health and Human Services, NYS Division of Criminal Justice, and other funders as directed.
• Collaboration with DSS, hospitals, law enforcement, and other human service agencies to ensure quality, comprehensive services.
• Will be assigned to the Response Team Schedule as directed by the Program Director, which includes being available for shelter coverage, advocacies, debriefing, phone calls, and all other critical situations during coverage dates which includes weekdays, weekends, and Holidays.
• Responsible for providing crisis intervention, accompaniment and advocacy services relevant to legal, medical, educational, personal, financial, housing, and other issues as directed.
• Compliance with all fire and safety procedures.
• Will act as a mandated reporter for The Salvation Army and report all incidents of suspected child abuse / neglect to child protection services mandatory reporter hotline.
• Meet regularly with the Program Director and keep the Director informed of all information regarding the program and services in order to ensure quality, comprehensive services to clients.
• Attend inter-agency, coalition, and community meetings when appropriate.
• Understand that by signing this job description you are aware that, as an agency offering 24-hour service, at times coverage for other shifts may be required.
• Understand that as an employee of The Salvation Army, there may be occasion for the addition of other responsibilities as needed, per the direction of the immediate supervisor, Program Director, or Commanding Officers.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice due to business needs.
SPECIAL SKILLS, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS.
• Associate's degree (A.A.) from a two-year college or technical school
• Must satisfactorily complete the sexual assault training in order to be a certified rape crisis counselor.
• Must have computer/typing skills in order to complete statistics, maintain case files, and correspond via email communication.
• Must have the ability to present themselves in a professional manner.
• Must have the ability to climb stairs and carry supplies to and from upper levels of the building.
• Must have a valid driver’s license that meets The Salvation Army insurance requirements.
• Must be confident in presenting to large and small groups.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.