Manage the nursing care of individual, including determining the need for immediate physician attention, the execution of medical orders of the physician or dentist and the coordination of the individuals nursing care in relation to routine facility activities and the individuals comprehensive treatment plans. Responsible for overall medical, dental, and nutritional care of all MR/DD individuals residing in facility. Adherence to applicable regulations and review of resident progress as appropriate.
· Evaluates each client’s need for nursing care on a periodic and continuing basis, and when appropriate provide such care under the supervision of RN and QIDP.
· Such services include control of communicable diseases and infection through identification and assessment, reporting to medical authorities, implementation of appropriate protective and preventive measures.
· Develops a written nursing plan for each client requiring nursing care as part of individual program plan
· Reviews each client’s plan in terms of the clients’ daily needs at least quarterly, and more frequently for those with an acute or chronic condition requiring treatment or surveillance by a physician or other health professional.
· Modifies nursing plan as necessary.
· Monitors the effects of medication and make periodic checks to assure that clients are talking medications prescribed, the prescriptions are taken as necessary mid outdated and discontinued drugs are disposed properly.
· Make periodic checks to ensure that clients are maintaining an adequate level of personal hygiene.
· Secure the services of the clients' physician for illness or injury and for continuing and preventive health services.
· Arranges all medical, dental appointments and hospital admissions.
· Promptly informs Program Manage/RN of any serious incident car violations of resident and staff rights per established policies.
· Utilizes tile nursing process to assess, plan, inclement and evaluate patient care.
· Performs focused interview to identify specific patient’s needs.
· Assess signs and symptoms indicating physiologic and psychosocial changes in the individual’s condition.
· Collects, analyzes, and interpret data and information from records and documents actual and/or potential nursing diagnoses.
· Record on the individuals medical records nursing observations and action taken, such as nursing care given, medications and treatments given, reactions to treatments, tests, the intake and output of fluids and solids and the individual’s vital signs. Record nursing needs of individuals.
· Work harmoniously and cooperatively with all consulting and/or contracted medical services to insure
· Recommended treatments are carried out, integrated and documented into die treatment plans.
· Insure that the inventory standards for medicines, solutions, supplies and equipment are maintained to meet nursing care needs.
· Account for die issuance of controlled drugs and narcotics and inventories of these drugs.
· Insure the physical safety and security of the individuals by assessing individual's ability to maintain his or her own safety and by taking the precautionary measures necessary to adequately safeguard the individual from self-inflicted injury or environmental hazards that may cause physical harm to the individual. This includes protection of individuals from health hazards such as transmission of infectious organisms, isolation of infected individuals and use of property sterilized equipment when its use is necessary.
· Provide appropriate information to the individual and family about such areas as sustaining and preventive health care, personal hygiene, methods of family or self-treatments, self-medication and possible side effects of medications.
· Serve as a liaison, interpreter or as accompaniment to individual with outside providers of health services.
· May train direct Support professional staff by way of demonstrations and the provision of written and oral instructions in the performance of nursing techniques and the use of certain nursing equipment.
· Carry but all policies of the agency issued management in accordance wife OPWDD and/or other funding agency guidelines.
· The essential functions of the job include but are not limited to the duties listed in the job description.
· Licensed by NYS Dept. of Education
· Experience in community residence and/ nursing homes a plus
· CPR certifications preferred.
· Has respect and consideration for the resident being served.