Position: Youth Worker
Location: Reading Corps - Learning Center; 301 S. 5th Street
Availability of Position: Immediate
Schedule: Part-Time; 20-28 hours; Actual Hours As Assigned
Reporting Relationship: Youth Ministry Coordinator / Corps Officers
Salary and Grade: $13.00 per hour; 72 Non-Exempt
The Salvation Army is hiring and offers truly excellent benefit package to eligible employees including:
Position Overview: The Salvation Army in Reading Pennsylvania is looking for a Youth Worker Aide that will assist in our youth programs in the building in a part time setup in coordination with the Learning Center staff for our Summer Camp program and Afterschool programs.
· Oversight of a group of children (15-30) during planned program time.
· Participate in all group activities.
· Lead by example, displaying good character and respect.
· Assist with the set up and clean-up of dinner with the assistance of the children
· Keep the program area of the building clean and safe for children
· Plan, coordinate and implement special activities.
· Drive TSA vehicle as needed and assigned.
· Assist with various learning programs (Christian/Biblically based curriculum)
· Help to compile/maintain accurate statistical data
· Communicate with schools and families as needed.
· Assist the Coordinator/Corps Officers as needed.
· Assists in developing and operating Summer Day Camp Program.
· Performs related duties as assigned.
· Flexibility to work assigned shifts and additional hours as required to meet program needs and flexibility to change as needed. Position changes to full time over the summer for Summer Camp.
· Ability to thrive in a collaborative team environment but also able to work independently.
· Cultural competency working with participants of various backgrounds and experience with inner-city youth
· Must be able to adapt, sometimes quickly, to meet the needs of the organization and the community
· Must be a detail-oriented, logical thinker, motivated self-starter and able to work independently
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the candidate will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the post.
· Valid PA Driver’s License.
· High school diploma or equivalent.
· Individual must have previous experience in working with children or comparable training.
· Bilingual English/Spanish highly desirable.
· Must be creative with activities for the gym, game room, computer lab and craft room.
· While an appreciation for, and understanding of, the philosophy and mission of The Salvation Army is required, being active Salvationist is a plus.
· Child Protection Clearances PA Act 153 requires that all prospective employees complete the following clearance and background checks prior to employment: PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check and FBI Criminal Record/Fingerprint Check. Meets the Child Protection Clearances required by PA Act 153 to include PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check and FBI Criminal Record Check along with renewals every five years.
· Must have an understanding of and appreciation for the Mission of The Salvation Army.
Contact: Please submit your resume and cover letter as instructed below.
External candidates interested in this position please apply online at http://careers.salvationarmy.org.
Internal candidates interested in applying for this position please apply at http://internal-usesalvationarmy.icims.com.
No Phone Calls Please.
Refreshed by the Divisional Human Resources Department on 5/11/22.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The Salvation Army’s Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church.
Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God.
Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ
and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Requisition No. 1549