Department/Location: Family Services, 301 South Fifth Street, Reading, PA
Availability of Position: Immediate
Schedule: Full-Time as scheduled
Reporting Relationship: Director of Social Services/Corps Officers
Salary and Grade: $12.18 per hour; 72 Non-Exempt
The Salvation Army is hiring and offers truly excellent benefit package to eligible employees including:
· Generous paid time off every year that includes: holidays, up to 3 personal days, vacation time and sick time.
· Employer funded Pension Plan (company contributions begin after 1 year of employment)
· Comprehensive health care coverage with low cost employee premiums, co-pays and deductibles
· Eligibility for supplemental insurance plans including Short Term Disability, AFLAC and Voluntary Term Life
· Flexible Spending Accounts
· Remitted Tuition Program
· Eligibility for the Federal Government’s Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program
· Most importantly – a job with a good purpose!
Position Overview: The Salvation Army Reading Corps is seeking a caseworker to provide case management and emergency crisis assistance to families in need. Caseworkers are trained in programs designated to help individuals and families overcome barriers leading to self-sufficiency, such as utility disconnects, rental assistance, utility customer assistance programs, prescriptions, photo ID’s, bus passes, and home heating assistance.
· Provide explanation of all required documentation for appointments and program eligibility
· Interview clients following established procedures to determine eligibility for programs
· Complete thorough intake assessment of each participant appropriately
· Schedule appointments as needed
· Conduct home visits/inspections for various programs
· Update files for each program participant
· Obtain and copy documentation required by each program. Maintain accurate filing system
· Use computer to complete the prescreening and application process for utility programs
· Make appropriate referrals to community resources
· Maintain accurate records in the Social Services Program and other databases
· Assist in the distribution of food, clothing or other donated items as appropriate
· Assist in Thanksgiving and Christmas assistance programs as assigned
· Answer phones and direct calls as necessary
· Fill in at reception desk as needed
· Coordinate with other staff members for cohesive service delivery
· Maintain client confidentiality at all times
· Treat all coworkers, clients and community members, etc. with the utmost respect
· Ensure clients experience a sense of dignity, importance and know that they are cared for
· Seek opportunities to improve services, processes and procedures
· Work collaboratively within the organization and with other community partner agencies
· Maintain accurate client files/data following standard social services DAP format
· Maintain the security of all client files and information at all times
· Seek opportunities to offer spiritual care / refer clients to corps officers for this purpose as appropriate
· Represent The Salvation Army, the church and service programs in a professional and caring manner
· Must maintain the highest standards of integrity at all times
· Assist other staff and leadership in the development and maintenance of accurate processes and procedures, updated forms, etc.
· Participate in professional development opportunities as requested for social services/technical skills improvement, attend social services conferences, present information to staff or other groups as requested
· Provide/present information to the advisory board and/or committees as requested by corps officers
· Performs all other related duties as assigned
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the candidate will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the post.
Contact: Please submit your resume and cover letter as instructed below.
External candidates interested in this position please apply online at http://careers.salvationarmy.org. Internal candidates interested in applying for this position please apply at http://internal-usesalvationarmy.icims.com.
No Phone Calls Please.
Released by the Divisional Human Resources Department on June 16, 2020
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The Salvation Army’s Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church.
Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God.
Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ
and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Requisition No. 1356