REPORTS TO: Education Department Manager
SCHEDULE: Full –Time (Seasonal) May 26, 2020 – July 24, 2020 – Break week of June 29 – July 3
FUNCTION: This employee will serve as part of the summer day camp team ensuring a high quality of camp programming for children ages 6-12 years of age. He/she will assist in carrying out the vision and objectives established by the Kroc Center Administrators and Education Department Manager. He/she will help plan and incorporate creative activities that support that vision. He/she will provide a supportive environment to promote Christian faith and value in keeping with the Mission of The Salvation Army and serve as a role model for children and youth, mentoring in appropriate ways.
• Displays character in alignment with the beliefs of The Salvation Army through words and actions.
• Exhibits a positive attitude and a willingness to assist wherever needed.
• Serves as a caring, competent adult role model.
• Uses excellent written and oral communication skills to interact positively with staff members/parents/church members/campers/ and Kroc guests.
• Demonstrates an ability to interact and cultivate relationships with children of all ages.
• Possess an ability to adapt to changes in the schedule and/or duties.
• Embraces personal growth and continuous self-improvement.
• Maintains confidentiality.
Orientation and Training:
• Attends ALL pre-camp orientation trainings and weekly camp meetings.
• Gains required certifications in First Aid and Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
• Implements all America Camp Association (ACA) standards to ensure compliance in accreditation policies and procedures.
• Supervises campers at ALL times and maintains child/adult ratios.
• Attends and manages small groups of campers during transportation and on day field trips.
• Leads and participates in all camp activities.
• Contributes to the campers mental, physical, social and spiritual growth.
• Completes written accident/injury and incident/behavior reports.
• Maintains accurate attendance recordkeeping.
• Ensures a safe and healthy environment for campers.
• Implements transition, large group, and small group activities.
• Contributes in the writing of weekly curriculum, discovery activities, or special events.
• Assists with the preparation, set up, and tear down of camp programming and activities.
• All other duties as deemed necessary and appropriate by the Education Department Manager.
1. One year of experience working with children or youth
2. Eighteen years of age and high school graduate
3. Must be available from May 26-July 24, 2019; Monday-Friday; 7:30am-3:30pm (No camp June 29 – July 3)
4. Ability to collaborate and work in a team environment, take the lead when needed, and follow the direction of Education Department staff and The Salvation Army Officers
5. Must be able to read, write and communicate clearly, in English
6. Must have the ability to work and relate well with individuals with varying needs and understand age appropriate social, cognitive, emotional, and spiritual development and contribute to the well-being of each camper.
7. Must be able to handle difficult situations/confrontations in a professional manner
8. Must possess an understanding of and appreciation for the Mission of The Salvation Army