Position: Resident Advisor
Location/Department: East Stroudsburg, PA Shelter
Availability of Position: Immediate (2 positions available)
Schedule: Full-Time; Monday – Friday, 2nd shift (4:00pm – 12:00am) and 3rd shift (12:00am – 8:00am)
Reporting Relationship: Director of Housing Programs, Case Worker
Salary and Grade: $10/hour + benefits after 90 days; 71 Non-Exempt
The Salvation Army is hiring and offers truly excellent benefit package to eligible employees including:
· Generous paid time off every year that includes: holidays, up to 3 personal days, vacation time and sick time.
· Employer funded Pension Plan (company contributions begin after 1 year of employment)
· Comprehensive health care coverage with low cost employee premiums, co-pays and deductibles
· Eligibility for supplemental insurance plans including Short Term Disability, AFLAC and Voluntary Term Life
· Flexible Spending Accounts
· Remitted Tuition Program
· Eligibility for the Federal Government’s Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program
· Most importantly – a job with a good purpose!
Position Overview: The Resident Advisor (RA) is to ensure a safe and welcoming environment for Emergency Shelter residents through the implementation and monitoring of shelter rules and regulations pertaining to resident conduct, fire safety, room conditions, conflict resolution and curfew restrictions. The RA conducts bag and room checks, answers the telephone, conducts intakes and discharges, accommodates new residents as they transition into the space, prepares a shift report, manages sign-in logs, responds to emergencies to ensure that, if necessary, residents are evacuated safely and efficiently, and responds to residents needs and request. The RA is to effectively communicate with the Case Worker, Shelter Program Manager, other RA’s and will perform other duties as assigned.
· To observe resident’s and visitor’s conduct to ensure the physical and emotional safety of all.
· Monitors and controls access into and out of the shelter via front door.
· Documents behavior, conduct, emergency situations, and visitations from outside individuals in the house report at the end of each shift.
· Responds to all emergencies in accordance with established procedures.
· Answers incoming phone calls, records accurate messages, transfers calls to appropriate staff and volunteers.
· Provides timely, accurate information and referrals to all callers and visitors.
· Enhances the safety and welfare of residents and staff by conducting room checks, inspecting bags if necessary, and asking for I.D. from outside visitors
· Administers Intake Procedure to prospective residents and records accurate information during intake process. Procedure includes:
1/ Initial interview
2/Conduct Breathalyzer and Drug Screening test
3/Review with client their responsibilities and agreements/contracts
4/Review with client the dismissal policy
5/Review with client the Shelter rules & responsibilities
6/Conduct check in and give bunk assignment
· Maintains appropriate documentation which includes (911) incident reports, fire drill log, medication book, and sign in log, and ensure that all the information is kept in a secure location for the next RA shift.
· Effectively communicates with house management shifts of significant events or incidents during previous shift along with informing of any special arrangements that have been posted.
· Gives personal care items (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc.) to residents upon request as appropriate.
· Ensures breakfast is available to residents and ensures clean-up follows.
· Assists residents with questions or problems they might encounter based on established rules, regulations and procedures.
· Helps to make the residents stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
· Supervises Family Units and Men’s and Women’s Dormitories and ensures shelter rules and policies (lights out, no smoking, exit policies, etc.) are adhered to and reports any non-compliance to the Case Worker.
· Protects the staff and residents’ confidentiality always, especially when visitors and/or callers inquires after residents.
· Monitors laundry room key, gives detergent as appropriate and washes shelter laundry as needed.
· Directs all residents to report to the Case Worker the next business day for enrollment in Case Management program.
· Makes referrals to local support programs for recovery, spiritual based programs and counseling.
· Supervise and ensure nightly cleaning of lounge & offices, including: sweep front stoop, vacuum all rugs, empty garbage, clean and disinfect sink, wash tables and clean door glass
· Supervise and ensure nightly cleaning of hallways, including: sweep & mop floors
· Supervise and ensure nightly cleaning of bathroom, including: sweep & mop floor, clean and disinfect sink and toilet, clean mirror, empty trash can and wash as needed, restock paper towels and toilet tissue.
· Snow removal as necessary.
· Maintain healthy boundaries, uphold the code of conduct of The Salvation Army at all times.
18 years of age
High School Diploma and/or GED equivalency
Prior residential, social service, or customer service work experience
Good writing and communication skills
Calm, mature attitude dealing with all contacts
Courteous, helpful and professional manner always
CPR Certified or willing to be CPR Certified
Bi-lingual a plus
Contact: Please send, fax or e-mail your resume along with a letter of introduction with salary requirements to:
The Salvation Army
226 Washington Street
East Stroudsburg, PA 18301
Or external candidates interested in this position please apply online at http://careers.salvationarmy.org.
Internal candidates interested in applying for this position please apply at http://internal-usesalvationarmy.icims.com.
No phone calls please.
Released by the Divisional Human Resources Department on November 5, 2019
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran's status.
The Salvation Army’s Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church.
Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God.
Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ
and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Requisition No. 1212