SCOPE AND PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To provide needed supervision and monitoring of warming center guests and program. The center will operate during cold winter months 7 days per week. Responsible for the general management of the program. Warming Center assistants insures a safe, secure, comfortable, and supportive environment in a manner consistent with the philosophy, policies, and procedures of a low barrier approach to care for homeless individuals. The Warming Center program will be provided at two locations, the Salvation Army and Grace Holy Spirit Church
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Supervise guests in the program including coaching guests on program policies and rules as well as potential consequences for violation of program policies/rules.
• Address immediate basic needs, orienting the guest to the warming center program.
• Provide supplies to meet basic needs such as snack/meal, linens, container for their belongings and hygiene supplies.
• Provide conflict resolution, crisis intervention and support as needed.
• Assist other community providers, social services, etc. in working with guests on their Individual Service needs. Promote activities to increase competence with activities of daily living and independent living skills.
• Plan, conduct and monitor guest group meeting sessions and other activities.
• Maintain statistical accountability. Provide clear and concise daily log entries. Maintain up to date daily log/census.
• Complete shift specific tasks such as chore assignments, cleaning, laundry, intake sheets, etc.
• Maintain communication shift-to-shift in staff journal.
• Answer telephone and respond to inquiries. Provide resources and referrals.
• Conduct regular (at least once/a night) facility safety checks, including sleeping/resting areas. Communicate any needs (maintenance or repairs) in the communication journal. Any immediate safety concerns will be addressed immediately. Monitor fire/security/ alarm system.
• Commit to work schedule at least two weeks in advance, based on program operations, there may be on-call duties as well as regular scheduled hours
• Attend mandatory staff meetings and required training sessions.
• Conduct basic intake information of each new guest
• Demonstrate cultural competence as well as integrate understanding into daily responsibilities.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice due to business needs.
SPECIAL SKILLS, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• High school diploma or equivalent. Additional education and training preferred,
• One – Two years of experience working in Human Services with the homeless, individuals living in poverty or experiencing SUD or mental health conditions.
• Ability to achieve and maintain CPR Certification
• Ability to diffuse crisis situations both within team settings and independently.
• Ability to document program events and carry out scheduled or spontaneous tasks
• Capable of applying all training and skill building information