To provide comprehensive services to victims of domestic violence assisting with emotional and practical support during the initial crisis stage and thereafter. The Counselor/Advocate will provide service in both the residential and non-residential program.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Provide comprehensive victim services, which will include:
o Assisting victims with setting and accomplishing short and long term goals
o Counseling - individual and group
o Follow up contact through in-person contacts, telephone contacts or written communications
• Personal advocacy services to assist victims in securing rights, remedies and services with other agencies or systems
• Criminal justice support and accompaniment, including assisting victims in the application of petitions for Family and Criminal Court.
• Crisis Hotline counseling
• Provide information and referrals
• Facilitating the weekly support group
• Assist with the filing of NYS Office of Victim Service compensation claims including making victims aware of the availability of the program.
• Maintain case records including intakes and billings.
• Transport and accompany clients to appointments.
• Fulfill the mandated NYS requirements by reporting suspected child abuse and
• Neglect and then providing pertinent information to the Director.
• Fill in staff schedule as needed to maintain 24 hour coverage of the Safehouse shelter.
• Accept on-call responsibilities as assigned being within a 30-minute response area.
• Attend community meetings and presentations as assigned representing the program in a professional manner.
• Assist as necessary to maintain the shelter in regulatory status; including food shopping and cleaning.
• Maintain confidentiality and adhere to HIPAA Regulations.
• Accept other duties as assigned by the Safehouse Director.
• Accept any other duties as deemed necessary by the Commanding Officers.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice due to business needs.
• Associate's degree (A.A.) from a two-year college or technical school
• One -two years of related experience.
E.g. Clerical, Intake, Resident Assistants, Drivers
• Must have a valid driver’s license that meets The Salvation Army insurance requirements.
• Must have computer/typing skills in order to complete statistics, maintain case files, and correspond via email communication.
• Must have good communication skills – both verbal and written.
• Must have an understanding of program needs and goals.