Position: Kitchen Worker
Department/Location: PSSM - The Red Shield Family Residence, 715 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Availability of Position: Immediate
Schedule: Part-Time; 20-29 hours per week; Weekends and holidays mandatory; Occasional overtime required
Reporting Relationship: Kitchen Supervisor
Salary and Grade: $13.25 per hour; 73 Non-Exempt
The Salvation Army is hiring and offers truly excellent benefit package to eligible employees including:
About the Red Shield Family Residence: The Salvation Army Red Shield Family Residence is a safe and welcoming emergency housing program offering loving, respectful, compassionate, and non-judgmental services in order to empower residents to strive towards self-sufficiency. All family configurations, including families with teenage children, and single men with children are accepted. Primarily, we serve young mothers with infants and single mothers with school aged children. Many of the women served aged out of the City of Philadelphia Department of Human Services system and have found themselves unable to access safe and affordable housing for their families.
Position Overview: The Kitchen Worker is responsible for food storage, inventory, assistance with food preparation, meal service, and clean-up under the Supervision of the Kitchen Supervisor in a family shelter setting.
* The Kitchen Worker monitors the temperature of the refrigerators and cook foods in accordance with safe food handling guidelines, notifying supervisor of any problems.
* The Kitchen Worker is responsible for assuring that any substitutions made are legitimate and in accordance with The City of Philadelphia Established Food Plans. The Kitchen Worker II notifies the Kitchen Supervisor and documents any changes made to the menu.
* The Kitchen Worker makes sure that meals are well organized and served on time.
* The Kitchen Worker oversees the service of meals ensuring that food is served in a safe and courteous manner.
* The Kitchen Worker helps maintain a clean and safe work environment and participates in the clean-up of the kitchen and dining area after each meal serving.
* The Kitchen Worker participates in the routine unloading delivery trucks and storing of food, also assists with any special donations of food to the kitchen, i.e. unloads from trucks to storage area, and possible breakdown of cartons.
* The Kitchen Worker is responsible for making sure that meals are prepared and placed aside for residents who have made previous arraignments with the kitchen Supervisor.
* The Kitchen Worker must complete job responsibilities assigned including: mopping, trash removal, counter cleaning, and dish washing.
* The Kitchen Worker is responsible for making sure that all kitchen utensils and appliances are cleaned after use and appropriately stored away at the end of the shift.
* The Kitchen Worker provides food on an emergency basis as requested by shelter supervisory staff.
* The Kitchen Worker oversees any additional duties pertaining to the dispensing of items from the kitchen in accordance to shelter policies.
* Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of duties, but rather lists the primary and most likely list of duties. The Kitchen Worker must be flexible.
* The Kitchen Worker will complete all other duties as assigned.
o Maintain and uphold the principles and commitments of The Sanctuary Model.
o Attend all relevant and necessary trainings associated with Sanctuary.
o Complete S.E.L.F. group and exercise safety plan.
o Attend Community Meetings when possible to reinforce Sanctuary Model with residents.
o Create and maintain a safe environment for residents, staff, and self.
o Provide a safe environment for residents by serving healthy meals on time.
o Accommodate any special dietary restrictions/religious practices.
o Maintain a positive and professional demeanor.
Contact: Please send or fax your resume and a cover letter to:
Ms. Syretta Hill
The Salvation Army
Red Shield Family Residence
715 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19123
Or go to: http://careers-usesalvationarmy.icims.com
Released by the Divisional Human Resources Department on August 22, 2019
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The Salvation Army’s Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church.
Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God.
Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ
and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Requisition No. 1159_