SCOPE AND PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Donor Relations Specialist (DRS) is responsible to implement administrative and donor-related activities for mid-level donor development. This position identifies, cultivates, solicits, stewards and upgrades mid-level donors to major giving levels. The DRS cultivates small businesses and planned giving donors, as well as welcomes first time donors. This position is the staff lead for organizing 3- 4 donor recognition/educational events per year. The DRS acts as a spokesperson for the organization as needed to bring in funding. The DRS consults with the Director of Development and Donor Relations Director to strategize mid-level donor fundraising efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Establish and create a strategic communications plan to identify, educate, cultivate and solicit gifts from donors giving $500-$1,000 with the goal of increasing their annual level of giving to Buffalo Area Services.
• Call and thank donors who have given between $500 and $1,000 for the calendar year. Follow with a thank you letter and receipt for each gift.
• Coordinate annual fund solicitations at year end with major gift program.
• Research and compose thank you letters and stewardship letters to mid-level donors.
• Research mid-level donors and prospects utilizing tools such as Research Point to determine financial capacity.
• Establish and create a strategic communications plan to identify, educate, cultivate and solicit gifts from small business donors with the goal of increasing their annual level of giving to Buffalo Area Services.
• Cultivate planned giving donors with the goal of increasing membership in Hope Brigade.
• Welcome first time donors by phone/letter to The Salvation Army.
• Maintain and recognize all donors giving 100+ gifts to The Salvation Army.
• Coordinate quarterly donor recognition events, e.g., Century Club, The Hope Brigade, The Red Shield Society and The William Booth Society.
• Enter gift information into donor database in the absence of the Donor Relations Associate.
• Represent Donor Relations in the absence of the Director.
• Review weekly lock box report for prospects. Call donors with gifts of $200+ to thank.
• Enter Gifts-In-Kind receipts from shelter, front reception & receiving into donor database.
• Participate in all other duties and activities as requested or assigned.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice due to business needs.
SPECIAL SKILLS, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Knowledge of fund development and public relations
• Strong organizational, administration, telephone and interpersonal skills, detail and “big picture” oriented
• Excellent written and oral communication skills - in preparing written reports and making oral presentations
• Proficiency in word processing and desktop publishing
• Experience with spreadsheets, donor tracking and/or database software
• Access to vehicle.
• Valid driver’s license that meets The Salvation Army insurance requirements.