SCOPE AND PURPOSE OF Position:
Building relationships with Tompkins County agencies dealing with homelessness, substance abuse and housing is the main objective. Seeking out local housing agencies, landlords and other nonprofit organizations and monitor housing availabilities to match them with the individuals and families in need of supportive or permanent housing. Coordinate events or programs that help the ministry of The Salvation Army.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Identify and interact with families and individuals to assess their immediate needs and connect them with social services programs that would assist them, assess their most urgent needs, appraise the situation, and listen to the clients' concerns.
• Assist the Corps Officer with the development, planning and implementation of donor relationships to help fund Corps programming and services.
• Develop a plan of action to address identified root causes and needs of such clients, set goals and outcomes for said clients, and find necessary resources to meet the goals.
• Establishing and strengthening solid community collaborations with outside agencies, and serving as a client advocate, enhancing a collaborative relationship to maximize the individual or family's ability to make informed decisions.
• Consult with other external agencies to provide support services and resources.
• Reach out to the community members that live in "The Jungle". Service basic needs once a week if needed using the Jet Pack dispensers and The Salvation Army van.
• Participate in required social service, homelessness counseling, and other appropriate TSA trainings.
• Stay in touch with clients to ensure the services were beneficial and that their needs are still met after pointing clients in the right direction for services.• Maintain confidentiality, respect privacy, and preserve the clients' routine and independence as much as possible.
• Recognize spiritual needs of person, refer to the Corps officers (who are ordained ministers of the Salvation Army) for pastoral care as appropriate
• Coordinate and collaborate with general social services ministry of the Corps, to identify potential individuals that may be appropriate participants of the community outreach program.
• Coordinate services with all seasonal social service programs (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Back to School, Summer Camp, etc.) as requested by Corps Officer and Divisional Headquarters
• Answer basic caller questions or refer as needed regarding The Salvation Army or community-based programs.
• Assist with general mailings or large-scale projects.
• Responsible for sharing with the Corps Commanding Officer, all matters of mutual concern relating to the total welfare of the Social Service at the Corps.
• Keep required documentation of all client interaction and processes while assisting them.
• Keep client files updated monthly.
• Prepare monthly statistics for Staff meetings.
• Prepare Thrift Store Assistance Vouchers when necessary
• Assist in coordinating annual volunteer/donor Thank You dinner.
• Respond to correspondence pertaining to Social Services.
• Assist in aspects of public relations events and campaigns as assigned by the corps officer including the Christmas kettle campaign and other fund raisers.
• Fulfill any other tasks that may assigned on as-needed bases requested by Commanding Officer.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. responsibilities and activities may change at any time with out without notice due to business needs.
• Responsible, respectful, positive role model and be able to follow instructions
• Must have a High School Diploma and Minimum of 3 years experience in this line of work.
• Well Organized and sensitive to individual's cases.
• Proficiency in computer programs such as Microsoft Office, Word, and others as required.
• PubHc speaking and face to face networking is a must.
• Valid New York Driver's License accepted by The Salvation Army's insurance.
• Must have a compassionate and caring demeanor towards people and a Love for God.