Position: Divisional Social Services Ministries Director (DSMD)
Location: Divisional Headquarters, Social Services, 701 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia
Availability of Position: Immediate
Schedule: Full-Time; 40 + hours per week; evenings and weekends as needed
Reports to: Divisional Social Ministries Secretary
Pay and Grade: $80,000 annual; 17 Exempt
The Salvation Army is hiring and offers truly excellent benefit package to eligible employees including:
· Generous paid time off every year that includes: holidays, up to 3 personal days, vacation time and sick time.
· Employer funded Pension Plan (company contributions begin after 1 year of employment)
· Comprehensive health care coverage with low cost employee premiums, co-pays and deductibles
· Eligibility for supplemental insurance plans including Short Term Disability, AFLAC and Voluntary Term Life
· Flexible Spending Accounts
· Remitted Tuition Program
· Eligibility for the Federal Government’s Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program
· Most importantly – a job with a good purpose!
Find out about us, EPA: https://pendel.salvationarmy.org/easternpa/GetToKnowUs
The DSMD will intentionally look for new funding sources and help program/unit directors with obtaining and processing new funding sources. DSMD will develop and implement new social service programs. In addition, the DSMD has responsibility for strengthening, supporting and providing resources to and from social service programs throughout the division and will serve as a consultant by responding to questions from the field, and will take the initiative by visiting the front lines to provide positive professional communication through encouragement, guidance, training and service to officers, staff and volunteers.
* Carry out the Christian mission of The Salvation Army through the delivery of social services and ensure that the maximum quality, compassion and professional standards are upheld within social services. Ensure that all Salvation Army Policies and Procedures are followed in all Social Service programs.
* Provide guidance in staff recruitment, orientation, training, development and nurturing for all divisional social services staff, as well as others directly supervised. Particular, attention will be given to the hiring of people who have appropriate experience, academic credentials, and who also subscribe to the Army’s Christian principles and are aligned with Salvation Army’s Christian mission.
* In keeping with the Army’s mission statement, the DSSD will give ongoing priority to bridging between services to people and between the congregational (Corps) life of the Army. This includes, but is not limited to, the encouragement and training of soldiers in Social Services to help in serving others, as well as the connecting of those served through our social service programs into the mainstream of Corps life. A bridging plan should be part of every proposal, including the Sanctuary Training model.
* Identify and develop new financial resources, particularly those outside of The Salvation Army that also uphold the Christian mission of The Salvation Army. Research all known funding sources and provide extensive details to the program/unit directors/officers for the securing of such new and existing available funding outside of The Salvation Army to Corps Officers and program directors.
* Oversee grant proposals from government, corporate and foundation sources. Oversee the processing of all such proposals/contracts between The Eastern PA and DE Division of The Salvation Army and Territorial Headquarters (THQ) in a timely manner. Ensure the reviews of contracts are in sync with The Salvation Army’s Christian mission; create department budget and be sure budgets are balanced and given to the Finance Department for final review and that they contain signatures of finance personnel who review documents. Give direction to the filing of required reports on the use of such grants.
* Be aware of the fiscal concerns of Divisional Social Service programs. Report all programs running in the red and, also those not meeting funding standards to Mission Alignment Council (MAC) and Command Finance Council (CFC) on a quarterly basis: January – April – July – October. Be sure all program contracts are in sync with The Salvation Army’s Christian mission and are complying with Accounting Minute #3.
* Uphold, by example, to the social services section and all divisional social service employees the adherence to all appropriate minutes relevant to social services.
*While the Director of Philadelphia Social Services Ministries and the Wilmington Regional Command Social Services Director have primary responsibility for providing oversight, consultation and professional resources to social services staff and programs in their areas, the DSSD will do everything possible to support and strengthen those efforts and to work closely with them and their teams.
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the candidate will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the post.
The DSMD must be an experienced professional with a proven track record of service in areas of social service, transitional housing and trauma informed care model of Christian service. Master’s Degree in Social Work, or actively working towards an MSW, and at least 10 years of progressive management in social services with management experience for multiple programs, transitional housing and shelter programs, or other 24/7 operations. Experience with Donor Relations and government agencies. Experience with the Business Principles of Fund Accounting/Budgets, HR and Marketing. Child Protection Clearances PA Act 153 requires that all prospective employees complete the following clearance and background checks: PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check and FBI Criminal Record/Fingerprint Check. Candidate must have an understanding of and appreciation for the Mission of The Salvation Army.
Contact: Please submit your resume along with a cover letter including salary requirements to: http://careers-usesalvationarmy.icims.com.
Internal candidates interested in applying for this position please go to http://internal-usesalvationarmy.icims.com.
No Phone Calls Please
Released by the Divisional Human Resources Department on December 19, 2018
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The Salvation Army will not hire any applicant for employment if the criminal background check reveals a conviction (or a guilty plea or plea of nolo contendre) for any sexual or violent crime. This policy is intended to help ensure safety in Salvation Army workplaces.
The Salvation Army’s Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church.
Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God.
Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ
and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Requisition No. 950