Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Shift Leaders must be prepared to complete all functions of a Resident Assistant, in addition to the “Leader” responsibilities.
While a Shift Lead does not possess supervisory power, the Shift Lead is the manager on site, carries authority, and is responsible to provide leadership to the team – through delegation, coordination and cooperation with all team members.
The Shift Lead needs to exhibit excellent critical thinking skills; be able to make quick and logical decisions; demonstrate maturity and professionalism; possess knowledge of agency and program policies – and be able to articulate and implement them.
Resident Assistant Responsibilities:
- Supervise residents in the program including coaching residents on program policies and rules to maintain a physically and emotionally safe environment for residents and staff. Provide conflict resolution, crisis intervention and supportive counseling as needed.
- Address immediate basic needs for individuals entering shelter including orientation to facility, house schedule, program rules and staff. Provide supplies to meet immediate basic needs.
- Promote activities to increase competence with activities of daily living and independent living skills. Assist Case Managers in working with residents on their goal plans.
- Maintain accurate documentation including statistics, clear and concise individual case narratives and log entries, daily census, Intake/Discharge forms and narratives, and HMIS data entry.
- Complete shift specific support services.
- Maintain communication shift-to-shift in staff journal.
- Answer telephone and respond to inquiries. Provide resources and referrals for 24 hour crisis line. Communicate any needs (maintenance or repairs) in the communication journal. Any urgent safety concerns are to be addressed immediately.
- Attend mandatory monthly staff meetings, bi-weekly leadership meetings and required training sessions. Maintain certifications.
- Represent The Salvation Army Ethel T. Chamberlain Women’s Residence in a professional manner in the community, at meetings and/or task force sessions, trainings, and other professional groups.
- Demonstrate cultural competence as well as integrate understanding into daily responsibilities and participate in meeting the objectives of The Salvation Army Syracuse Area Services Strategic Plan.
Other duties as assigned.
General Shift Lead Duties: All Shift Leads need to be prepared to complete the following functions:
- Serve as Leader on Duty during shift, coordinating and delegating staff assignments, adjusting to the needs of the house, as appropriate, to ensure a physically and emotionally safe environment.
- Conduct shift change meeting with relief Shift Lead and other staff to promote continuity of care
- Effectively make field decisions and adjustments that do not require supervisor intervention or immediate notification. Read, interpret and implement policies /procedures throughout the shift
- Review Daily Log for accuracy and correct any errors.
- Review and monitor intake and discharge paperwork and processes to ensure accuracy and completion
- Complete End of Shift narrative for Supervisor indicating matters needing Supervisor Intervention – pertaining to staff issues, resident concerns, or facility needs.
- Conduct scheduled fire/evacuation drills
- Report needs and concerns to Assistant Program Manager or Program Director immediately
- Maintain some flexibility to adjust hours minimally to meet shift coverage needs.
- Assist in training new staff as appropriate and assigned by Assistant Program Manager.
- Oversee consistent adherence to program policies by both residents and staff
- Maintain open communication with other Shift Leads and Supervisors to ensure seamless operation of the program. Periodically, attend Case Manager staff meetings to coordinate services
- Work closely with supervisors and program director to maintain compliance with governing entities and funders including: OTDA, Food Bank, Local Dept of Social Services, United Way
Specific Shift Lead Responsibilities:
Day Shift Lead (FT, Monday - Friday, 730am-330pm)
- Inventory tracking of house supplies: meal provisions including pantry food, disposable products, as well as laundry supplies.
- Conduct weekly review of client narratives. Report any issues or problems to supervisor.
- Maintain Medication Cabinet and Log Book, including review of paperwork and maintenance of cabinet.
- Assist with staff calendar updates and finding shift coverage
- Maintain Evacuation Log Book, including review of documentation to ensure accuracy and follow up on unplanned evacuations. Provide support services to Director/ Case Manager including but not limited to screening of referrals, referral completion, assessment paperwork, food ordering.
- Input client data into HMIS, verifying entry/exit information, case notes, documentation of incidents.
- Review all HIMS intake and discharge data daily.
- Assist in advocating for client’s needs with individuals and agencies including landlords, utility services, family members, and community service providers.
- Assist with maintaining and updating client files including file closings.
- Assist with additional clerical support as needed.
- Transport clients as needed.
- Supervise residents in the program including coaching residents on program policies and rules as well as potential consequences for violation of program policies/rules.
- Address immediate basic needs for those entering program including orienting individual to facility/apartment, house schedule, program rules and staff.
- Maintain statistical accountability. Provide clear and concise individual case narratives and log entries. Maintain up to date daily log/census.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice due to business needs