Position: Thrift Store Manager
Department: Carlisle, PA Corps
Availability of Position: Immediate
Schedule: Full Time
Reporting Relationship: Corps Officers
Salary and Grade: $14.50 per hour; 73 Non-Exempt
The Salvation Army is hiring and offers truly excellent benefit package to eligible employees including:
· Generous paid time off every year that includes: holidays, up to 3 personal days, vacation time and sick time.
· Employer funded Pension Plan (company contributions begin after 1 year of employment)
· Comprehensive health care coverage with low cost employee premiums, co-pays and deductibles
· Eligibility for supplemental insurance plans including Short Term Disability, AFLAC and Voluntary Term Life
· Flexible Spending Accounts
· Remitted Tuition Program
· Eligibility for the Federal Government’s Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program
· Most importantly – a job with a good purpose!
Position Overview: The Thrift Store Manager oversees the general operations of the thrift store and supervises the thrift store and warehouse staff. This includes processing donations, sorting, pricing, tagging, selecting and shelving, operating the cash register and other responsibilities as assigned. The Thrift Store Manager is responsible for bank deposits and reporting as required by The Salvation Army and will be responsible to keep the thrift store organized and clean at all times.
· Establish guidelines to prepare merchandise for sale by pricing and tagging items and clothes.
· Create an attractive shopping environment including neatly stacking, shelving, and hanging clothing garments and other donated goods.
· Enforce pricing policies (one price/no haggle) and recommended strategies for sales promotions to maximize sales.
· Establish a system for purging items from the store to ensure a constant flow of new inventory.
· Ensure the thrift store is always organized and clean, which includes sweeping, vacuuming, mopping floors, dusting shelves, cleaning bathrooms, washing windows, etc.
· Assist in the recruitment of volunteers and handling appropriate paperwork.
· Assist in the training and development of staff and volunteers.
· Responsible for scheduling of store and warehouse employees to ensure each day is staffed with an appropriate amount of employees and volunteers.
· Approve vacation requests and conduct annual performance reviews for store and warehouse employees.
· Utilize the internet and social media to advertise the store and promote the most expensive and highest demand items.
· Keep record of daily sales and monthly totals and meet with the Business Associate and Corps Officers bi-weekly to report on these figures.
· Understand and comply with federal and state laws regarding the sale of used items including IRS tax regulations and Dept. of Labor bedding and upholstery restrictions.
· HS diploma or GED equivalent. College degree in Business, Sales, Marketing, or a related field strongly preferred.
· Prior successful work experience in a retail setting a plus.
· Ability to handle a cash register and teach others how to handle one, which includes void transactions, discounts, tax exempt sales, etc)
· Excellent math/accounting skills and familiarity working with cash receipts.
· Must keep information in a confidential and secure manner.
· Must be self-motivated who can work in a constantly changing environment.
· Must be able to adhere to project and work deadlines.
· Child Protection Clearances PA Act 153 requires that all prospective employees complete the following clearance and background checks: PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check and FBI Criminal Record/Fingerprint Check.
· Must have an understanding and appreciation of the Mission of The Salvation Army.
Contact: Please send, fax or email your resume along with a cover letter including salary requirements to:
The Salvation Army
20 E Pomfret Street
Carlisle, PA 17013
Or you may apply for this position by submitting your resume and cover letter online:
Current Salvation Army Employees can apply online at http://internal-usesalvationarmy.icims.com.
Prospective employees can apply online at http://careers.salvationarmy.org.
Released by the Divisional Human Resources Department on July 30, 2018
No Phone Calls Please
The Salvation Army’s Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church.
Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God.
Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Requisition No. 831