Position TitleKidspace Recreation Attendant Non-Exempt
Responsible toRecreation & Fitness Manager
High School or GED
Two years preferred in a field related to leisure studies, parks, and recreation or physical education and play works.
Experience in childcare with children ages 7 to 11preferred.
- Must have at least three years experience in supervising education programs.
- Must have or be able to acquire within the first 30 days of employment a First Aid & CPR certification.
- Must have gym and exercise equipment knowledge. Must be able to express his or her knowledge on the form and function of each piece of equipment and can demonstrate its proper use.
- Must have the ability to confidently speak and instruct groups of people consisting of individuals with varying age, experience, competency and cultural backgrounds
- Must be in good physical and mental health, capable of meeting the demands of the gymnasium and athletic field programs.
- Maintain a professional attitude and approach to problem solving
- Have ability to work with student and parent participants, consisting of individuals with varying ages, experience, competency and cultural backgrounds.
- Must have the ability to work and relate well with people.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
- Have a philosophy of education and child development, which is consistent with that of the Center and The Salvation Army.
- Must be available to work week nights.
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs.
Principal FunctionsThe main function of the Kidspace Recreation Attendant is to provide supervision to the children of members and program participants. The attendant works in the gymnasium, outdoor hard court, athletic field, and aquatics as necessary. Keep score and/or referee during recreational sports league games. Ensure the safe use of the facilities by assisting patrons as needed in the fitness department with the equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the most enjoyable experience for all RJKCCC guests.
- Maintain all public Fitness & Recreation and restricted areas in a neat and clean fashion.
- Generate legible and accurate accident and incident reports as required.
- Ensure that events and activities begin and end on time.
- Immediately rectify and/or report any potentially unsafe conditions.
- Assist and direct Guests in moving about the facility to avoid crowded conditions and maximize service efficiency.
- Follow and ensure adherence to The Salvation Army Policies and Procedures.
- Assist children with self-care (assisting children in the restroom) as required.
- Enforce all fitness and recreation policies and procedures pertaining to the fitness floor, exercise room and facilities on a consistent basis. Enforce food and beverage consumption rules within the area.
- Work in a cooperative manner with the other team members of the department.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings and management team meetings;
- Ensure the safe use of the facility by enforcement of facility regulations and ensuring that authorized patrons use the facility.
- Provide information and answer questions about available programs.
- Work with volunteers.
- Assist in any emergencies or accidents in a calm and professional manner.
- Handle disputes with participants and students in a professional manner.
- Maintain a safe working environment; Report all harmful problems with facilities to the Education Coordinator or proper supervisor.
- Ensure customer service standards are met; report improved upon issues that arise to Education Coordinator or in his/her absence the Program & Development Manager for direct follow-up.
- See that all injuries for those under your program whether employee, volunteer, visitor, or spectator report all injuries in a timely manner and according to procedure.
- Must attend and complete child safety training as facilitated by the Salvation Army.
- Perform other duties as assigned and more appropriately defined in the operations manual.
- To represent The Salvation Army’s spiritual and social mission.
- Report all fitness equipment and gymnasium/field area problems to the Fitness and Recreation Coordinator and/or Fitness and Wellness Manager. Notify members and staff when equipment is out of working order or in need of repair
Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the individual who holds this important position.
The Salvation Army reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. Its facilities and vehicles provide a smoke and drug free work environment for all employees and volunteers.
It is expected that each employee will be familiar with The Salvation Army Handbook for Employees. Questions regarding its contents can be directed toward the Human Resource Department or Immediate Supervisor.
I have read the description for the position of Kidspace Recreation Attendant for The Salvation Army Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center of Boston. I acknowledge my understanding of this, and am able to conduct myself in accordance with its purpose.