Position TitleFitness & Recreation Specialist
Responsible toFitness & Wellness Manager
- Two years of college required in a field related to health sciences, leisure studies, or physical education or equivalent experience preferred.
- Bachelor degree in a health/fitness field preferred.
- Certification as an ACSM Health/Fitness instructor preferred.
- Must have 1-3 years of progressive experience in fitness, athletics, and/or recreation field.
- Rock Wall and High/Low elements experience preferred.
Principal FunctionsProvide professional fitness services to members and clients of the center to appropriately meet the health and fitness needs of each individual. The Fitness & Recreation Specialist works in the overall fitness & recreation department including/but not limited to the fitness floor, cardio loft, group dance studio, gymnasium, athletic field, and outdoor court.
- Must have exercise and gym equipment knowledge and be able to train and instruct members and patrons on the safe and proper way to use equipment
- Attain a personal training certification from a nationally accredited organization within three months of hire (at the expense of the employee)
- CPR/AED certification required.
- Must have the ability to confidently speak and instruct groups of people consisting of individuals with varying age, experience, competency and cultural backgrounds.
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office and similar applications are preferred.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
- Must have ability to work and relate well with people.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide fitness floor supervision and basic exercise instruction.
- Review and screen all health history questionnaires and obtain physician clearance if needed.
- Conduct daily mandatory facility orientations for new members.
- Schedule appointments for testing and personal fitness consultations.
- Perform fitness tests, including cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular testing.
- Deliver and explain fitness test results with the provision of exercise prescription and program recommendations to members. Discuss and make recommendations related to their individual goals with baseline values from fitness testing in consideration.
- Check assessment action system daily to ensure prompt attention to member requests and follow-up.
- Maintain member assessment files including accurate and up-to-date notation from member appointments.
- Annually complete a total of 2 continuation education credits in a health and fitness related field (at the expense of the employee).
- Coach, instruct, and manage fitness and recreation programs and clinics as assigned.
- Provide appropriate re-direction to members performing dangerous or harmful exercises.
- Maintain safe environment for members and clients of the Center.
- Perform facility rounds every 15-30 minutes including monitoring of gymnasium floor and adhere to posted gym schedule if applicable.
- Maintain cleanliness of fitness & recreation areas and equipment, including inspection of equipment and upholstery requiring maintenance and/or repair, dusting, vacuuming, and sweeping of fitness floor, cardio loft, dance studio, gymnasium, rock wall area, and field.
- Promote member self-cleaning of equipment by ensuring hand-wipe dispensers are full and functional.
- Report all fitness and recreation hazards and safety matters about fitness floor, cardio loft, dance studio, cycle studio, gymnasium, rock wall, and field area to Fitness and Wellness Manager and/or Fitness & Recreation Coordinator. Notify members and staff when equipment is out of working order or in need of repair and post appropriate signage.
- Plan, market, and implement member incentive and fitness programs.
- Respond to all injuries, both medical and non- medical, according policy and procedures. Document and generate detailed, accurate, and legible accident and incident reports in a timely manner.
- Attend weekly/monthly staff meetings.
- Perform all necessary tasks for both opening and closing shifts on weekdays, weekends and holidays.
- Work in a cooperative manner with other team members of the Fitness and Recreation department and Kroc Center staff and volunteers.
- Enforce all Fitness & Recreation policies and procedures pertaining to fitness floor, cardio loft, dance studio, cycle studio, gymnasium, and rock wall on a consistent basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the position
Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the individual who holds this important position.
The Salvation Army reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. Its facilities and vehicles provide a smoke and drug free work environment for all employees and volunteers.
It is expected that each employee will be familiar with The Salvation Army Handbook for Employees. Questions regarding its contents can be directed toward the Human Resource Department or Immediate Supervisor.
I have read the description for the position of Fitness and Recreation Specialist for The Salvation Army Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center of Boston. I acknowledge my understanding of this, and am able to conduct myself in accordance with its purpose.