Position TitleGroup Exercise Instructor
Responsible toFitness & Wellness Manager
High School GED required
Bachelor’s degree preferred in a related field of study
Must have at least one year of experience in teaching group exercise classes
Principle FunctionsThe Group Exercise Instructor is responsible for presenting a positive and competent image of The Salvation Army Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center through quality fitness programs designed to meet the needs of the community.
- Must be certified through ACE, ACSM, or other approved nationally accredited organization.
- Must have an Associate’s degree or nationally recognized group exercise certification in area of instruction at date of hire.
- Must have or be able to obtain CPR/First Aide certification within first 30 days of employment.
- Must have ability to work and relate well with people.
- Must be able to lift and carry 40lbs.
- Meet all health and safety regulations as defined by the Health Department as well as The Salvation Army.
- Must be in good physical, capable of meeting the demands of the gymnasium and athletic field programs.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Must be able to speak before large and small groups.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Instruct with sound principles and expert skills in the area(s) of special certification such as Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, Cycle, and other specialty certifications as required to a diverse group of individuals.
- Be available to commit to instruct classes on quarterly schedule.
- Must teach and model all fitness industry safety standards.
- Create programs geared to individual and group needs.
- Provide participant guidance for development.
- Critique and give feedback to participants regarding individual progress.
- Must complete a minimum of two continuing education credits per year and keep certifications current. Expense is at the cost of the employee.
- Group Exercise Instructors are responsible for renewing their certifications within 90 days of expiration to avoid being removed from the schedule. All new certifications must be given to the manager.
- Assure music selection adheres to mission of the Salvation Army.
- Observe classes taught by other instructors to provide feedback and suggestions on how to improve quality of instruction.
- Employee must give at minimum a two week notice (if feasible) for any changes to their scheduled class (s).
- Ensure dance studio, cycle room, or class room is left in clean manner after each class. Instructor is responsible discarding any trash, paper towels, or gym wipes left on equipment or floor. Instructor is responsible for reporting any major spills or hazardous conditions to Fitness & Wellness Manager.
Perform other assignments/duties as directed within the scope of the position.
Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the individual who holds this important position.
The Salvation Army reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. Its facilities and vehicles provide a smoke and drug free work environment for all employees and volunteers.
It is expected that each employee will be familiar with The Salvation Army Handbook for Employees. Questions regarding its contents can be directed toward the Human Resource Department or Immediate Supervisor.
I have read the description for the position of Group Exercise Instructor for The Salvation Army Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center of Boston. I acknowledge my understanding of this, and am able to conduct myself in accordance with its purpose.